Friday, September 7, 2012

Why Blog?

Someone recently asked me why I like to blog. I was mulling this over the other night after I had hopped into bed, then flipped the light back on and started scribbling down some answers on my trusty yellow legal pad.

Here's what flew out of my pen:

1. I blog because I feel compelled by the Spirit to do so. Do you ever get those promptings that sound something like, "I really need to ________", or "Now would be a really good time to __________"? I find that when I open my mind and heart up to these nudges (or shoves?) and begin to act, ideas start to flow and I know exactly what to do next.

A few of my outlets-of-choice are writing, reading, and cooking. Yours may be decorating or creating or composing or researching or styling or serving or loving or exercising. I find that the same principle described above can apply in any of these areas. When I stop procrasinating and bravely JUMP IN, a whole new world opens up and I've got inspiration to spare.

2. I want to do everything I can to be an influence for good and to make a little difference in this world. The 13th Article of Faith of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has long been my guiding mantra:

"We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul -- We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things." (Joseph Smith)

I love to read things that are uplifting and make we want to be a better person, and it naturally follows that these are the things that I want to write about. I am fascinated with the subject of LIVING, and am always hungry to know how others are able to do it beautifully and in a fulfilling way. In my "next life" I want to be a professional interviewer! What is more fascinating than finding out why someone is the way they are, how they became good at whatever they are good at, and what their greatest tips for living are?!


You may read blogs (this one included) and wonder, "Is her life really that continually wonderful / beautiful / inspiring / perfect that there is a spiritual lesson that leaps forth from every experience or activity that she engages in?"

My answer to this is no! And then, yes!! I was taught at an early age to search my soul for silver linings, to try to see the good in everything. I have come to know that to the Lord "all things are spiritual" and that if we dig deeply enough, our difficult times can teach and shape and build us even more than our "good days". And when I figure something out or see something wonderful, my driving impulse is to share it! And, my most favorite people are the ones who do this with me.

My daughter Claire is a beautiful and inspiring writer. She wrote recently about one's blog being a journey, that our first post is usually dramatically different from our most recent and that we evolve as writers. When I first started blogging a year and a half ago, I would spend an entire afternoon - even day - working on a single post: writing, re-writing, and editing, editing, editing. It was thrilling to finally push "publish", but also exhausting! I took a break for many months, and now I am back at it again with the promise to myself that I will spend 45 minutes tops, from beginning to end, on a blog post.

My camera is a marvelous creature, and I utilize about .5% of its capabilities. However, I am trying to keep it close by each day so that when that little voice whispers, "Capture this! There's a story here!", I am ready. This new focus, with the next step being writing about my little awkward photos, has helped me see my ordinary life with brand-new eyes. Instead of waiting for inspiration to hit, I go looking for it. There is beauty in every-day-ness!

My "rewards" for blogging about my life and feelings and ideas? Well, there is nothing like clicking "publish" and knowing that my words are out there, accessible to anyone who may be half-interested in what I have to say. And there is definitely a rush (and a peace) that comes from actually following through with what I feel I am supposed to be doing at this point in my life. But the BEST PART, the absolute BEST, is when YOU leave a comment, or pull me aside at church, or grab me at the grocery store to tell me that something that I have written has made a difference to you. That we have connected heart-to-heart in some way is the icing on this blogger's cake.

These, my friends, are the reasons why I blog. :)



9 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this. It made me think a little about why I blog, mostly as a record/journal of my life, but its a hobby of mine for sure too. I am glad that you AND Claire are back to blogging a little more. Hope it continues ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aimee, I'm sure you know this but did you know that you can have your blog compiled into a book?? Claire did this, and it is a great way to preserve your blog writings as journals. I totally want to do this when I have enough entries. xo

      Delete
  2. Macy, You are so well read, it just naturally flows that you would have a desire to write. And lucky for you, you are also so talented with words. Plus you have such a gift for noticing the good in others and lifting up everyone you meet! I think you should write a book and have it published. Keep blogging - I look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From one blogger to another, thank you, Nancy!! Your blog is one that I always make time for. It is so unique and lovely, just like you. My life's secret ambition is to really publish something ... maybe someday!

      Delete
  3. I love reading your blog so please continue writing it!!! You truly are inspiring and such an example of what I'd like to be when I grow up... :) Thank you for sharing your talents and testimony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet, Alicia. Isn't it amazing how we can stay abreast of each others' lives after all these years and between the miles? I enjoy checking in on your family blog ... what a wonderful mother you are!

      Delete
  4. I love this. Macy, you inspire me so much--I'm so very glad to know you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Brooke. Claire has been GUSHING about you lately and your wildly successful photography business. Can't wait to see the At Home photos you took of them. I am blessed to know you too. Will always remember you and K. singing at our little devotional on the deck at CDA. You are a brilliant woman in so many ways.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for writing this. It's like you took the words from my mind, organized them into something sensical, and then articulated them beautifully. You inspire me to keep writing.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete