Monday, March 28, 2011

Dropping a Turkey - Week #6

It occurred to me as I stepped off the scale this morning that I have now lost this much weight:

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=ref&q=http://www.consumerqueen.com/printable-coupons/just-in-time-for-thanksgiving-butterball-coupons&sa=X&ei=abmQTafxEpS6sAOyxdmfAg&ved=0CAIQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNF70ebIJbQGyhm-vdjLRC_fYsHLag

It is much more interesting to picture my lost weight in terms of parts of a big ol' turkey! Hard to believe I've lugged all of that around for the last few years. (The Butterball brand image was intentional.) Fifteen pounds equals a big difference when you look at it that way! This makes two pounds lost since last Monday, which is just perfect and what I was hoping for this morning.

The big news of last week was the addition of running (READ: s-l-oooo-w jog), to the tune of four times, just as outlined on the Ragnar Relay Beginning Training Schedule. Woo-hoo! Monday's run was designated "easy", which translated for me to eight minutes of jogging, a short walk, and eight more minutes of jogging. Wednesday, I did the same exact course, but tried to take a few seconds off those eight minutes. Friday, I repeated Monday's run exactly: nice 'n easy. Then Saturday, I ran eight minutes, walked a stretch, ran eight minutes, walked a bit again, then finished with eight more minutes: the LONG RUN. This was the highlight of the week for me ... a victory simply because I got out and did more than I thought I could. Here's what I wrote in my journal right when I got home:

"Yes! I did it! AND I FELT GREAT!! Could have run more, but stuck with my inspired plan! I am back in the game!!"

(I was a little bit happy.)

I wore my Ragnar shirt for good luck, which said in big black letters across the front: Northwest Passage - 187 Miles - FINISHER. I especially like that last word, "finisher", and all that it implies. I also wore my new white Nike cap for a bit of anonymity. I find myself feeling a bit embarrassed about all the shakin' goin' on as I'm out in public jogging, but here's what I tell myself: "Self, this is the LAST DAY you will look like this. Tomorrow will be a little bit better, and the next day, even better!" And this inner talk gives me the confidence to keep going. After all, I could be home on the couch watching The View, right? Nothing against The View, but being outside exercising is a much better option for me right now.

Speaking of TV, I consider myself a "moderate" Oprah fan, and stumbled upon a really quite wonderful show last night on her new network, OWN. It was called "Oprah Presents: Master Class", and it was a one-hour interview with Oprah herself where she discussed the first part of her life story. I found it very inspiring and agreed with so many of her philosophies: that none of us are here by accident, that we have been prepared for what lies ahead in our lives, and that we all have great purposes ... if we don't know what they are, we had better get to work figuring them out. She spoke of a poem she recited as a child in church, and it resonated within me. Here it is -- you may know it already:

Invictis -- by William Ernest Henley (British poet, 1875)

"Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.


Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate.
I am the captain of my soul."


Read those last two lines again, out loud. Do you believe them? Do you believe that you are the captain of your soul? When we internalize this message, our potential becomes limitless, and our destinies open up. We DECIDE the lives we want to live by our thoughts and actions, and "in the strength of the Lord we can do all things." Yes!! I believe!! So empowering!!

A few more random (and I mean random!) tidbits from last week:

1. Do you struggle with setting guidelines for yourself on the computer? I had been checking email, facebook, and favorite blogs in the mornings, and was not accomplishing everything I needed to by the time my daughter came home from school. I am now taking a college course, too, and need two more hours per day to study, and don't have the discretionary time that I once did. So a new guideline for me: no computer at all until housework, exercise, errands, cooking, and schoolwork are complete for the day. This feels really good and has helped me put my priorities back in order. It is true what others say about time on the computer, particularly with social media: it is the great time-suck. Had to get myself back in line again.

2. My hubby and I find that there is a big difference between Quick-Cooking Oats and Slow-Cooking Oats: the larger, whole, longer-cooking ones stay with us longer in the morning and help us feel full clear until lunchtime. They take ten minutes versus three minutes to cook, but sure are worth it. Our favorite is Snoqualmie Falls Lodge Oatmeal, which is a local brand.

3. Frozen peach slices! Oh my goodness, how I love these. They come in a large, clear bag in the freezer section and are delicious eaten alone in a little dish (nearly defrosted), or chopped on top of hot oatmeal. Where have they been all my life? My husband brought a bag home recently, and I am hooked. With no added sugar, just peach slices, they taste like summer.

4. Confession: I haven't started yoga yet. I'm scared that I won't be able to do it. But thanks to my friend Michelle's suggestions on a VERY beginning DVD (Rodney Yee's AM/PM Yoga), I think I'm ready to give it a go this week. My dear Claire sent me a link for five yoga recovery poses for runners, which I'm totally going to incorporate into the end of my runs. Thanks, girls.

5. Stef, my beautiful, fit, ATHLETE friend who somehow makes soda pop and chocolate work to her advantage, was inspired by my plan to hit the local Starbucks for one of their new Cake Pops last week. She partook as well. Glad I could be there for you, Stef! The most delicious four little sweet bites I've had in some time...Birthday Cake flavor.

6. Here's my guiding scripture for the week (Thanks, Bishop):

"Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.

And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive."
(Matthew 21: 21-22)


7. Tomorrow, the Buckwheat Yakisoba recipe for Claire, and a glimpse into my little prayer and planning area in my bedroom. Chinese stool included for Jenni.

8. Did you meet my mom yesterday? She is giddy that "her secrets are out" and can't wait to see herself on the computer! I will take my laptop over this week and let her read the interview. Good stuff!

9. Molly, you are a dear for sending me your yummy healthy recipes. THANK YOU.

Happy week, friends! How are things going in your pursuit of all things healthy?? Any good tips to share or bits of inspiration?? Keep on keepin' on ... we are making progress!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting you should mention computer time. For my job I have an in-home daycare. I have noticed that the kids get along great when I am sitting on the couch in the playroom (crocheting or reading or whatever), but all heck breaks loose when I move 10 feet into the next room and sit at my computer. Then last week I kept a time log of my day (a suggestion in a book I was reading.) The time log made it SO clear to me how often I was on the computer and how it negatively affected the peace of my daycare. So now I have a deal that I am only on the computer during the kids' naptime, which is 1-2 hours a day. I do all my bills and planning and scripture reading and primary calling. And wouldn't you know, I am MUCH more organized and I get more accomplished than before.

    ReplyDelete