Thursday, October 4, 2012

Simple Applesauce


I was just thumbing through the November 2012 "Runner's World" magazine, and came across a list of the Top 10 fall superfoods. Number one? Apples!

"They're high in cholesterol-lowering soluble fiber. A Japanese study found apples also contain an antioxidant that may protect against muscle injuries -- particularly those caused by downhill running."

Well, I'm not doing a lot of downhill running these days, but I've always felt that the old adage "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" may have some truth to it. I just feel like I'm doing something good for my body when I'm munching on an apple.

Years ago I read that eating a small apple a half-hour before dinner is an easy and healthy diet tip. The fiber-rich fruit fills you up and makes it easier to be satisfied with smaller portions of your regular meal. I think I'm going to give this a try again!

My daughter and I made a big batch of homemade applesauce the other night, and ate it warm from the stove. It was so delicious, easy, and nourishing that I had to share the recipe. This is from our old warped and splattered cookbook called "Kids Cooking" from the Williams-Sonoma Kitchen Library. Give it a try! It's impossible to goof up and your family will love you for it.
Simple Applesauce

4 large apples (any variety - we like to use a couple different kinds)
1 T. fresh lemon juice
1/2 c. water
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon
a sprinkle of ground cloves

Peel and core apples and chop into large chunks. Put in medium saucepan with remainder of ingredients. Bring to a low boil, then cover with lid and reduce to simmer for 15 minutes. Mash with potato masher to desired consistency. (We like ours a little chunky.) Serve warm, or chill in the refrigerator.

1 comment:

  1. Yuuummmmm! I want to make this immediately. Maybe this weekend? Together?

    ReplyDelete